The school year is evaporating as I type. One and a half days remain. Two half days for high schoolers taking finals. We are in the last stretch to summer. Wow, that went by fast. The memory of the wettest winter on record in Seattle is almost forgotten as our 70 degree friend called summer is arriving. Yes, we who live here know we live for the glorious summer months in the PNW. May through October are pretty darn fantastic, in fact. Don’t spread that information around too far. We already have a shortage of housing inventory. We sort of want the images of pouring rain they show on Grey’s Anatomy to prevail. Population control, we call it.
The sun is here (for the most part) for the next few months. We really like to be outside this time of year. Below are some great options for the Summer of 2016.
1. Bainbridge Brewing 4th Anniversary Celebration – July 10th & 11th. Enjoy celebrations both days at the brewery and toast with a Special Edition Anniversary Ale.
2. Bainbridge Block Party – June 19th. Downtown Winslow will be taken over by food and music. Celebrate Father’s Day at a festive block party.
3. Summer Kick-off Concert at Bloedel Reserve – June 25th. Sit outside and enjoy live music from two fantastic bands, Ethan J Perry & the Remedy Band and Duke Evers. Pre-purchased tickets required.
4. Rotary Auction at Woodward Middle School – July 2nd. A rummage sale like no other. The sale raises about half a million dollars every year. Drop offs begin June 24th.
5. 3rd on July Street Dance in Downtown Winslow – July 3rd. Rev up for the 4th of July festivities at the downtown street dance. Vendors, music and the ever popular Beer (and wine) Garden.
6. 4th of July Parade in Downtown Winslow – July 4th. The quintessential small town parade is the highlight of the day. Locals vendors downtown round out the event so you can indeed make it a full day of food, friends and fun. Finish off the day with fireworks over Eagle Harbor, of course.
7. Wine on the Rock – July 23rd & 24th. Two days of wine, music and food at each of the seven Bainbridge Island wineries.
8. Garden Party at Bloedel Reserve – August 4th. Mingle on the lawn while feasting on hors d’oeuvres from favorite eateries and clinking glasses filled with fine wines. Pre-purchased tickets required.
9. LeRoy Bell and His Friends at the Treehouse Café – August 6th. Treehouse Cafe’ is an excellent spot for live music and good food on the island. LeRoy Bell is an island favorite and always draws a large, fun crowd. Pre-purchased tickets required.
10. First Annual Summer Fest at Battle Point Park – August 13th. A celebration of summer and community at Battle Point Park. A nice way to wrap up summer. A free event.